Saturday, July 04, 2009

Bracing for Culture Shock

I have the feeling when I get back to Boston I am going to have a huge adjustment to make.
Not tango wise.
But life wise.

I have becoming very comfortable with sleeping until noon, eating dinner at 9, 10 or 11 at night and then staying out until 4 or 5 am.

Back home I am almost never hungry at 5 or 6pm, when most people serve dinner. This late night eating suits my system. And the whole relaxing at the table, lingering over coffee, needing to send up a flare for the waiter to bring you the check.
I love it.

I have the feeling when I get back to Boston the whole rush rush rush of life is going to be a bucket of cold water.

But, I'll enjoy this culture while I have it still.
:o)

3 comments:

Johanna said...

I don't think anyone is immune from re-entry-itis. The combination of lifestyle, tango 24/7, and insane hours is so different from life in the US, all returnees go into a period of mourning. So yes, enjoy it while you can.

Caroline said...

First time I returned from BsAs - there was definitely an adjustment period. I think the best approach is to be expectant for that then it won't hit you so hard.

Bruno Afonso said...

So now you know what I feel in a daily basis as I was used to that lifestyle for 25 years ;-)