Monday, April 20, 2009

When it sounds too good to be true, that's because it is....

We leave for Buenos Aires in a little over a month. I am nervous, excited, and until this morning, I thought I was completely prepared.
This morning I get an e-mail from the man whom I thought we had settled a rental agreement for his apartment with. Way back in February we met in Boston as he was visiting here, talked, agreed on dates and a price (which was a great price! He said he was only going to charge us just above what he pays, so he asked for $450USD a month. Let me emphasize that he set the price, but I did not argue it.), I gave him one month's rent as a deposit and I thought we were all set. Around March I get an e-mail from him saying that he had to stay in the apartment through the first week of June due to legal issues with his ex-wife, so we would have to find other accommodations for that time, and no, he would not pro-rate the rent for us. Aggravating, but deal-able. So I find a nice little loft in Belgrano for the first 8 days, sent him an e-mail telling him we found a place and we would see him at his place on June 8th. No response, but I was not exactly expecting one.

Flash forward to today. I wake up, and before I even have some coffee I open my e-mail. I see an e-mail from this guy titled "Re:apartment, maybe.... let's see....."
The basic gist of this month's e-mail was that he did not know when he would be able to rent the apartment to us, as he might have to stay longer, so don't get too excited about it, he would let us know if things changed and if the apartment became available. There was some berating of the price he rented to us, and how it was below the market value, etc. and that if we wanted to find someplace else he would recommend us to someone that he knows who rents rooms....

WTF?!?!?!?

I rented a whole apartment from you! You jerk!! I don't want you to recommend a room to us when you already have our money for your apartment!

Quick discussion with Sorin, who gets as aggravated as I am, and we decide to cancel renting from this guy. I decide to stop payment on the check. And I send an e-mail to this guy explaining how upset and disappointed we were, as we had an agreement to rent with him, and he was obviously trying to get out of it, so consider the deal off.
I have to admit, my Irish was up, so I also mentioned that I would have no problems telling people in the tango communities that I dance in about my dealings with him and that I would discourage anyone from renting from him. Which is what I would say to anyone who yanks my chain in any business dealings. Word of mouth is a strong force.

Well, the e-mail I got back from this guy changed me from aggravated to amused in 3.5 nanoseconds. He attacked my character, my dancing abilities, my looks, just about everything he could think of (and all mis-spelled, both Spanish and English. There is something about piss poor spelling and grammar that takes all the bite out of any retort. Turns a pit bull into a toothless daisy in my mind). He even threatened to attack us at the milongas in Buenos Aires, told Sorin that he would "teach him how the portenos really dance in the street". hum....

The e-mail is really long, but there is such meat there, that I have to share a small amount. I know this is out of context of the whole e-mail, but it will give you a taste of my amusement. This comes right after calling me a "Voluda" which I am guessing (and others supported) he probably meant Boluda... see how mis-spelling makes you a daisy instead of a meanie....

"Hey , shit happens ....as you will find out here soon NO DOUBT !! and it was never my intention to not rent the place for June and July but I need to stay longer for reasons that you would not understand or care about...like ever hear of family . Your response was rather extreme and you obviously are a self centered little bruha that thinks the world revolves around you..instead of being understanding and flexible , you reacted in a typical bitch Boston fashion !"

It was never his intention not to rent it to us... only for him to stay longer.... uhm..... well.... it sounds to me like he did not intend to rent it to us. He intended to stay in his apartment longer and let us figure out what we should do for a place to stay...
And I don't see what I should be understanding and flexible on an agreement to rent his property. I was already flexible once and paid for another place for the first 8 days, why should I be more accommodating to the point of not knowing when or if he could rent to us? And he wants to keep my money? If the place is not available - DON'T RENT IT!

And bruha? Maybe Bruja? Not sure though, my Spanish is not very good.... and being a typical Boston bitch, I would not want to correct it for him.....

He then goes on and on and on about how I can't dance, how portenoes will chew me up and spit me out, blah blah blah....

I'm just glad all this happened now and not when we got to BsAs and were in his "temple" as he called it.
Blargh....

I have to say though, this has not colored my view towards Buenos Aires or Argentineans at all. Because he is not Argentinean. He is Dutch. And when we were talking about the apartment in February, all he could do was warn me about how sly and backhanded Argentineans are, and how they would cheat me at every turn. Which is funny, because I know several Argentineans, and they are lovely people whom I enjoy a great deal. And one of whom e-mailed me about his apartment in BsAs and how we could rent it from him. And they are not the ones who dealt a crooked hand to me.....

5 comments:

Johanna said...

I'm so sorry this had to happen to you. I really hope it does not color your experience of a really wonderful city.

Debbi said...

There is no way it could Johanna! :o)

tangocherie said...

Debbi, you really should post his name after all of this so that others can be forewarned!

And that there are tons of vacation rentals available in BsAs. He's the boludo!

Debbi said...

For some reason I am reluctant to publish his name, and I am not sure why that is. But anyone who wants to know, e-mail me and I will send you the info.

Caroline said...

I think it's wise not to out him on the internet. It just might provoke him to behave even worse than he already has...not a good risk to take if you two are going to be in the same city soon.