Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wonderful Oddness

Last night was my happy milonga - Odd Tuesday. It was packed and it was wonderful. I had a great time, had lovely dances, and felt like I was moving rather well. There were new faces, favorite faces, and one famous face whom I did not realize was famous until today. Ah well. If we dance with the gods, will we realize that they are mortal? (That's my justification and I am stickin to it!)

I really and truly did not have one bad dance last night. I danced until I could not dance any more, until my feet were sore and numb at the same time. I needed that. The music was really good, the walls had new artwork that was interesting and beautiful, the air was just the right temperature - the planets aligned, the angels sang and somewhere a fairy was laughing.
Ok, maybe it was not quite that level of magic, but it was pretty darn close! The only thing that would have made it better was if it and I could have lasted longer.

I danced with a beginner who has been bitten by the tango bug, we talked music, we talked style, we talked about those moments of excitement when you get something elusive. I danced with someone I have not danced with in about 6 months, and it was really fun and made me realize that I miss dancing with him. I danced with a friend who just came back from BsAs, we talked about everything. And, of course, I danced with Sorin - which was possibly the best dance of the night. We connected, we communicated, and we had fun. What more can you ask for?

It is funny, a night like last night makes me happy and inspires me to keep growing and dancing, because I want more nights like that. Lately I have had some dances that made me feel all of my shortcomings. I don't believe that was intentional on the leader's behalf, it is just the way it went. I was being challenged in ways I did not yet know how to meet. Which both fires me up and dampens me down. It makes me want to get better so that I can meet the challenge. And it depresses me that I am not there yet. Where ever there is.

So now I am feeling inspired from both sides of the tango coin. From challenges I have not been able to meet, and from situations where I just felt like I was on top of the world.
Lucky me, I have two great events coming up in my home town - workshops with Felipe and Rosa and then in a little over a month - Tango de los Muertos!

It never stops.....
:-)

No comments: