Monday, September 22, 2008

Overheard phrases and my interpretations

Things overheard on my commute this morning


*Overheard phone conversation waiting for the train
"Are you sure that is what the results are? Is it possible that the test is a false positive? Should I come back in for more bloodwork or do you need more samples? I can't possibly have that!"

My interpretation. Man contracted something or other from someone other than his wife, and is desperate to not have to tell her. Instead, he would rather tell the entire platform of the 9:09am train. Can you say TMI?!


*On commuter rail, men behind me
"Well, Rebecca is 15 years younger than me, but still, that was not right."
Seatmate
"What do you mean?"
Man
"Well, she told me I lost the match because I am older and slower than her."
Seatmate
"Harsh."
Man
"Yea, hell of an apology! I mean, doesn't she care how it looks for her to win?!"


My interpretation
Wealthy older man is upset because his trophy wife is not playing by the rules and is confused why she is not being a trophy 24 hours a day. She had the audacity to beat him in a tennis match and then not apologize for winning. He is shocked and amazed. He is even more amazed that she thinks he is old. Seatmate knows about the wife's affair with the tennis instructor, but can't say anything because he's begun dating the Man's second ex-wife.


*Conversation between two girls behind me walking up Huntington Ave

"Well of course I did not do the reading! I had to go to Tommy's party this weekend, and there was just no time! I mean.... you know.... I had stuff to do, I can't be expected to drop everything to read three chapters! Ya know?"
Friend
"Mm-hm. But that was just awful that she called you on it in class! I mean, you know, half of us didn't do the reading... she did not have to pick on you!"
Girl
"I know! I wonder if my dad should call someone about that...."

My interpretation
Two girls had no idea that when they decided to go to college they would actually have to work and study because they have been getting by on charm and perfume for years now. They are so used to Daddy stomping on anyone who intrudes on their world with reality, that they don't know how to deal with reality now that they are immersed in it.




Some days I just love figuring out other people's issues... especially when they hang up all this dirty laundry for everyone to see!

3 comments:

miss tango said...

I am with you. Sometimes I totally cringe with embarassment to hear some of the conversations carried on in English, when the tourists think everyone just speaks Spanish and can not understand them. Or maybe they just don´t care.

La Tanguera said...

Oh my!!! That was funny, though...

Johanna said...

LOL!

I especially love the first one, because so many people are up in arms about their "privacy".