Monday, August 18, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

5 weeks is a long time to go without tango. A long time. I did not realize just how much I was going to miss it, or how much I needed it. I always looked forward to dancing after a stressful day, as it released all the pent up energy and allowed me to relax. Well, the 5 weeks I was away were very stressful and I had no outlet. So I was amazed that I did not jump out of my own skin when I finally came home and went out to dance.

I thought I would have regressed more than I did. Don't get me wrong, I certainly did have a regression, and I am very aware of the areas that got soft, and it is upsetting. I was just having a break through in responsiveness due to the help of some wonderful leaders, and now my brain knows what we talked about, and my body is saying "whhhaaaat?" But the joy of dancing has been absolutely rediscovered.

I got home Wednesday afternoon and we went dancing that night. Just walking up the stairs, hearing the familiar strains of D'Arienzo float down to greet me, was almost enough. Opening the door to the studio allowed the music to envelop me, my first abrazo back. I felt the excitement of Christmas morning as a 4 year old. Changed shoes, and Sorin and I danced for, I don't know, three or four tandas. It was heaven. I settled into his embrace like I had never left, and off we went. A few missteps here and there, but who cares. We were dancing. The only thing that threw me that night was someone took my glasses by accident, so I had no vision and was fearful of snubbing people because I could not see them. At all. Luckily this is not a cabaceo heavy milonga, so as forms came towards me I could recognize their shapes. I had wonderful dances, and a great time despite the lack of vision. Luckily, I got my glasses back on Saturday night from the woman who took them. She just grabbed them and left, as she is one of the lucky few who does not need glasses to see. If she had put them on, she would have immediately known they were not hers since I am blind and she apparently is not. But it was a couple of worrisome days without them.
But I left floating, which has not happened in awhile. Not because my world was rocked, but because I had danced and danced well despite my hiatus. And it was so lovely to have so many people say "You're back! We missed you!"

Thursday's practica was also good as Sorin and I worked together the whole night. He was called selfish by another leader, but hey! We had not danced with each other in so long, I think we are allowed a night together! And Sunday's practica we worked together for an hour as well, and my stubborn streak resurfaced to butt heads with his stubborn streak. Luckily, we were saved by one of my favorite milongas. I heard it start and I said "This is one of my favorite milongas, could we just dance this one?" We did, it was great fun, and then arguing about colgada leads seemed so silly. I danced the last tanda of the evening with a friend, who asked how long I had been away. Her response was "5 weeks?!?! You poor thing! 5 weeks without tango.... I couldn't do that!"

And now I know, although I could, I don't want to.

1 comment:

Stanley Dankoski said...

I can't wait to catch up and to dance with you again. 5 weeks IS a long time! :-)