Tuesday, July 01, 2008

A taste of summer


Shortly after a rogue sun shower, my favorite kind, I went out and picked mulberries from the two trees in the yard, with thoughts of making tarts. Standing on a rickety wooden ladder, I managed to collect a good amount of the sweet tart berries, much to the dismay of the birds. They hollered and hooted their displeasure at me as I took the ripest, sweetest berries in the trees. There was one very brave bird who would swoop from limb to limb on the other side of the tree from where I was perched, yelling its little head off at me as I took away their snacks. Sorry birdies. Even though I can't fly, I'm taller and have a colander. Here are the fruits of my labour..... just enough for one largish tart!


And here is the large tart! yummmmm.....

4 comments:

Miss Tango said...

I never ate a mulberry or moras, until I came here to Argentina. There are white and black moras all over the place. But they are too tall to get at :(

Pelado is determined to start a mora tree from a splice (sorry forgot the proper word)

Debbi said...

Miss T - mulberries are wonderful I have discovered. Since Sorin has two black mulberry trees I did research and discovered that you can use them in an recipe you would use blackberries. Although, you have to use them as soon as you pick them, they are really delicate...

what do the white mulberries taste like?

Miss Tango said...

Quite similar actually, not so different. We bought some mora jam recently it is very delish!

tangobaby said...

"And to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street!"

Bringing back memories of a favorite childhood book, but alas, I have never tasted a mulberry. Your tart looks lovely, though!