Friday, April 04, 2008

Tango Tootsies...

So there I am, sitting on the edge of the tub, happily taking care of my feet with a punice stone when it dawns on me.... my feet are a mess! Looking at my poor tootsies, I start counting the bruises... three perfect round black and blue marks decorate my left foot. Stiletto stabs, one of which is actually under my toenail, the other two on the soft flesh beneath my toes. It still amazes me that when stepping backwards one continues to transfer weight even when one feels something soft and non-floor like beneath one's heel. Or maybe it is me, I can feel what I am stepping on, and if it is something other than floor, I immediately lift my foot and increase presence to my leader so he knows I stepped on someone if he did not know it already. But not these ladies. They nailed me. And not in the good way. My toenail is ugly from the bruise, and I wish that I could stand to have a pedicure because polish would be the perfect disguise for the ugly black and purple mark. But I just can't stand to have my feet touched, and I don't like nail polish. I can feel it, and it makes my skin crawl. Does anyone else feel that? Or is it just another weird thing Debbi does......

Anyway - back to the bruises.

I remember when I first started tango and got my first Milonga war wound, I was so proud. It was like I was initiated into the follower sorority. Now, I barely notice them, unless they get out of control like they are right now. My right foot is bruise free, but the leg is not. Practica last night, my leader stopped me short from a collision, however the other leader did not, and the follower was making some sweeping motion with her leg that hit me as she swept left and then hit me again as she swept right. Uhm... hello?!?!? If you hit someone going one direction, don't you think you might not want to go back, regardless if your leader leads it, because the body part you already slashed might still be there??? When she hit me the second time I turned around and said "You're joking, right?!" At least they both blushed, mumbled a sorry, and scooted away. My leader laughed and said he did not have anywhere to go, but he did not believe that the other couple would continue the figure after first contact. oh well, maybe they will think next time.

But what I want to know is this.... when I look around the milonga, all the tangueras feet look so perfect and lovely, and then I look at my paws and they are bruised and abused.... how do you ladies do it? What is the secret that I have yet to discover?? Is it really the pedicures that I see everywhere? Cause I really don't know if I can get over the heebie-jeebies I get when people touch my feet.... although I can try.....

But please oh please tell me true.... how do I disguise the black and blue????

11 comments:

Heather said...

Debbi, you're not alone! I too hate the feel of nail polish. To the skin under the nails, it feels cold and creepy. As far as bruises go, I find wearing peep-toe shoes helps ward off the stilettos, and also disguises existing bruises. I always get bashed up more when wearing open-toed shoes. Good luck with the tootsies!

Johanna said...

You're too cute! EVERYONE has battle marks. Even the "pretty" feet. I cannot stand wide open-toed shoes - the CIF kind all the rage right now. I can handle peep toe, but nothing more exposed. I've almost lost the nail on my big toe twice...

Short of doing your own pedicures and polish, there are always opaque stockings, or practice shoes with pants for when you just can't bear to look at your feet.

Of course, the REAL trick is just to make your feet MOVE beautifully and no one will care what color they are....

msHedgehog said...

I'm trying to avoid wide-open toes (I don't especially like the way they look either), and I wear tough hosiery if I can. For winter milongas I have a couple of great pairs of silver glittery tights. The fishnet ones give a surprising amount of protection, too, and their visual noise is almost as effective as opaques for hiding things.

Mightn't the others have as many bruises as you, it's just that you can't see them unless you look quite closely? You didn't notice yours until you had a good hard look in good light.

Most of my regular bruises and scratches come from me making contact on the instep with the heel of the other shoe. And there's one place I don't go to dance because there are just too many accidents.

I'm not that fond of nail varnish either - it looks so manky so quickly, it's not exactly an improvement on nature even when fresh, and the process of doing it is a bore.

Elizabeth said...

Debbi, for heavens sake, your feet have been working hard for you! Give them a regular treat of a quality pedicure. It's not just about polish, that is the icing on the cake, and you could forgo that, although I can't imagine it. A massage, an herbal soak, treatment of calluses...it is a non negotiable budget item for a happy dancer. Bruises also clear up faster with the massage, but they seem to be part of the price we pay at times. But I mean it girl, get a pedicure! I am not kidding.
And P.S, newsflash: Never wear stockings with an open toe shoe.

Red shoes said...

I was thinking the other day about the scar across the top of my left foot and the milonga at which I got it...war wounds indeed!

La Tanguera said...

:) I agree, the only way to avoid it is by closing the shoes. When I decide to go for vanity and cooler looking shoes, I know I'm up for a lot of "ouches". No pain, no gain :P

tangobaby said...

I get manicures and pedicures religiously, so of course that's my advice.

I do find that fishnets hide a variety of sins (if the lighting is dim enough). Leg Avenue makes a micro mini fishnet that is not that super heavy ropy filament. These are very lightweight fishnets that don't have the big holes in them:

http://www.amazon.com/LYCRA-MICRO-FISHNET-PANTY-BLACK/dp/B000FWCS4E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1207612320&sr=1-5

I usually get it in the shin, so if it's really bad I just wear pants. Hope your feet feel better soon.

miss tango said...

If you have bruises on your toes, do not under any circumstances wear polish for any length of time. As FUNGUS loves to breed in these dark moist conditions. If you must wear polish, just do so for that evening and remove immediately after.

Treat your toes to a drop of Tea Tree Oil, to help prevent any nasties, until the bruise it outgrown.

Debbi said...

Thank you every one for the great comments and suggestions! My new favorite pair of shoes are peep toe, which honestly is because my feet get less dirty than in my sandal toe shoes. (I'm a slider, not a stepper. My feet slide on the floor, except in milonga!) I still adore the black sandal shoes that Sorin gave me for holiday, but I only wear them on special occasions, I want those to last! I do bruise exceptionally easily, so the peep toes give me slightly more protection.
I just can't bring myself to get the pedicures (especially now that the work fungus has been brought up! yikes!), I can't get over having people touch my feet. (wonder what happened in my past life to cause that??). But I will try the Tea Tree oil.
My sister (who is a chef and on her feet all day) just bought herself a home foot spa, where you soak you tootsies in warm salt water. I'm thinking that sounds good to me as a pedicure alternative! :-)

msHedgehog said...

The warm salt water will feel nice (ooh I could just do with that now - just back from a milonga where I hardly sat down) but ice is much better for bruises. A dedicated bag of frozen peas is the thing, if you really want them to go away.

Or, that magic cold goo they use on athletes is surprisingly effective. I don't know what it's called in America but here it comes in a blue tube and is called "deep freeze". It smells strongly of menthol and feels sort of tingly.

La Nuit Blanche said...

debbi!

the at-home salt scrubs at the best. you can get some here:

http://www.miracleofthedeadsea.com/

the site is kind of cheesy, but i lovelovelove their dead sea salt scrub.

it will stimulate the blood vessels in your feet, and exfoliate the skin on the outside, so your bruises will go away quicker.

and there is nothing like a salty foot massage to take away all the stress after a day of work and night of dancing....