Monday, March 24, 2008

Tango Blessings

I feel I have been very blessed this month in the realm of tango, I have had some of the best dances in my very young life as a tango dancer in this dismal month of March. Which is rather amusing to me. Grey, cold, dingy days filled with bright, heart-lifting, warm dances.
A couple of weeks ago, I had a growing spurt. I was able to be more active, and leaders noticed and commented. I was better able to feel that connection, find my partner, and share accordingly. Things I had no idea I had been missing were becoming clear, and I was amazed at finding them.

It was sort of like I had been living my life without, oh... say chocolate. And was offered my first taste of dark, bittersweet chocolate, and my palette suddenly realized all it had been missing. And now I can't go without.

Of course, I am lucky as I am attending two festivals this month, so my tango sphere is considerably wider than it normally would be. But even so. I have always had a good time at festivals, but I was not a temptation to the better/elite dancers, as there were always a good number of elite followers to be had. But this last festival I attended, I discovered that I was dancing all night with some of the better leaders there. Granted, I still am not on the radar of the tango gods, which is understandable, but I seemed to be dancing with a good number of the best of the "mortals" there. Which rather took me by surprise. A very pleasant surprise, but a surprise nonetheless.

And now this weekend I am looking forward to the Yale festival, and I already have some dances lined up on my dance card. :-) It is a little strange, I am not concerned about how I am going to dance while there, I have confidence that the strides forward I made are still going to be with me. I plan to enjoy myself and my partners thoroughly..... maybe that is the key??

3 comments:

Danzarin said...

Isn't this the best feeling though:) Have a great time in Yale. So sad that I cannot be there... Have atando or two for me too.

tangobaby said...

That's a wonderful report, Debbi. I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your festivals and I hope your tango blessings continue.

Alex said...

You're coming into, or have already arrived, at the most beautiful part of tango...the part where it gets rich and juicy and sublime, where it's not just about the movement (and always connection), but about the character and quality of that movement...

Have fun at the festivals...Atlanta is coming up for me...Happy Tangos...