Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Odd Tuesday

It feels like spring out, it is cool with that undercurrent of warmth, and it is amazing just how much my mood has improved with the change in weather.

Last night was Odd Tuesday Milonga, my happy milonga, and as I am in a slow time with work, I was able to go to the practica before hand. Although the practica (as well as the milonga later) was sparsely attended, I did get one very valuable bit of learning from the practica, and that had to do with the tension issue I have been having with my right arm. I spoke with a friend of mine who has been dancing for a long time and teaches with her husband in Boston, and she told me that she learned to open up her shoulder socket to her partner (as opposed to collapsing the shoulder or pushing the shoulder forward) and to keep the shoulder soft when one feels pressure against the hand and arm when it is not necessary (i.e. - boleos, you want that added pressure, walking - not so much). She learned this through something called Alexander technique and it seemed to work well for her. So I tried it out. And you know what? It worked! Just visualizing keeping my shoulder joint open, relaxed and fluid made a huge difference. It was difficult to remember to keep it constant, but with practice I am sure it will turn into muscle memory. Even Sorin mentioned that he noticed the tension had decreased significantly when we danced.
Yea!!

Although the milonga was disappointing in the lack of attendees, I did have a good time dancing with some favorite leaders. One of whom I had not danced with in quite some time. Sorin was DJing so the music was good, and I had new pants that rocked!!! BCBG was having this huge sale, so I wandered in more on a whim and tried on these pants as they were 70% off. I was amazed at how beautifully they fit, so I bought them in navy with red and tan pinstripes. They make really lovely swooshing feelings on pivots, boleos and turns. Fun!

$150 pants for $45?? Yes please!

3 comments:

La Tanguera said...

Wow, wonderful pants!!!! :) I'm envious :)

tangobaby said...

I'm glad to know that the Alexander technique was helpful to you in your dance technique (I had heard of it but wasn't quite sure what it was until now), but I am even MORE glad to know that BCBG is having a big sale and I LOVE YOUR PANTS!!!

Guess where I'll be at lunch today...

;-)

Alex said...

Nice pants...