Monday, March 10, 2008

Beginning of the week....

I have a preliminary interview for a design gig in NYC today!!! I am very excited about this, I would love to break into NYC and get some work there. It would mean more travel to one of my favorite cities on a regular basis. And work in NYC!! Pretty cool. It is an off-off-broadway theatre, but everything I have read about them sounds pretty cool, and I like their vibe that I get from their website, and it seems that they have some really good history. So, here's hoping!

In other worlds, a.k.a. tango - I had a good tango weekend. Saturday night was a monthly milonga that I had a pretty good time at, they always have a birthday dance for the month's birthday celebrants, and a friend of mine contacted all the good followers he knew and asked them to be there to take part in his birthday dance, which was brilliant as it caused a whole group of us to constantly cut in on him. ha! good for him! I need to remember that for my next birthday dance in December....

Sunday practica was also good, I worked on some pointers a favorite leader gave me - elongating my torso, making my back as tall as my front (his words, pretty good image) and allowing my shoulder blade to lift my arm as opposed to my shoulder joint. It made it much easier feel his lead and the nuances he was suggesting in the dance. I find it amusing that once one reaches a certain level in tango, we start going back to the basics, the beginning, to make our adjustments there. I remember being told that we all go back to the beginning lessons during our tango path back when I was a rank beginner, and I remember being confused by that. Now it makes perfect sense.

We seem to have an influx of beginners in our community, which is great. I hope that they become enamored with the dance and stay. It is really interesting to watch them go through the pain of learning, leading, following, stepping.... I remember back to my beginnings and how overwhelming it all was. I remember watching the feet of the more advanced followers at the time, trying to decipher how it was that they were stepping, how did they know how far to step, what was that extension like, and why were they so smooth and I felt so abrupt when I stepped. I realized at one moment during the practica that there were three girls sitting on the side, staring at my feet and talking with each other while pointing to my and another's steps. It brought me right back to last spring when I was doing the same thing. I also remember graduating from watching feet to watching embrace and faces. Who had that connected look, and how did they achieve it? Such a fishbowl, this intimate connection between two people.

Although the one thing I have noticed with the influx of new dancers, is the sudden degradation of line of dance and floorcraft. And even common sense. At Saturday's milonga, some decided to walk through the floor during a song to leave. I am surprised he did not burst into flames from some of the looks he got, and I was also amused to see one leader, who is a stickler for propriety on the dance floor, lead a low boleo in this guy's path. Not sure if he got the hint, but I have no doubt he will soon. Growing pains......

Thursday we leave for DC and the TangoMarathon. We are staying with a friend and are looking forward to visiting with her as well as dancing all night every night. I have no doubt it will be a good time, I am already planning my wardrobe, which includes my fabulous new pants as well as some tops and wraps that I am making right now that I hope will be ready in time. I gave Sorin the task of keeping me on task with my sewing projects this week.... hope I did not give him too much power with that task! ;-)

2 comments:

tangobaby said...

Good luck on your interview! I hope it went really well for you. It sounds like it could be a wonderful thing to be in New York on a semi-regular basis...so much to do and explore there.

bruno said...

Good luck on getting into NYC scene :) I am one of the newbies at sunday practica trying to dance this thing called tango.. ;-)