Thursday, February 21, 2008

On Tango and Shakespeare....

On one of the tango blogs, Argentine Tango Videos, today was posted a video of merging Shakespeare and Tango - they merged Romeo and Juliet with tango, the fight scene between Mercutio and Tibault

It gave me the shivers (despite the fact that at the moment I am ill with a fever) and made me wonder how I never thought of how tango works so well with some passages from Shakespeare. The passion, playfulness, and power of the dance mirror the same in Shakespeare's words...

Imagine - Iago whispering jealousy inducing words into Othello's ears as behind them a tango between Cassio and Desdemona plays out in Othello's mind.....

Or the sprites of Midsummer Night dancing a tango through the woods and castle as they bless the lovers' marriage....

Ohhhh, my imagination has been stirred, and a few of my passions - theatre, tango and Shakespeare - have been thrown in the pot.....

3 comments:

tangobaby said...

OMG, yes! That sounds amazing. It gives me the shivers, too. I am going to look at that video right now.

I hope you feel better soon!

Limerick Tango said...

There is definitely scope for a tango show piece to Prokofiev's Montagues & Capulets from Romeo and Julliet.

koolricky said...

Hi there from the land of Shakespeare, Warwickshire! Indeed this clip is fabulous. To be very honest nothing cannot be fabulous when you include Leandro y Romina in it. I had workshops with them and was surrendered to their approach to tango. I must say they are BY FAR one of the best teachers I have came across!
I have been thiking of organising something on the lines of Tango Shakespeare in Stratford-upon-Avon. Time will tell if it happens or not!