Friday, October 05, 2007

Turning towards the sun....

This has been an odd couple of weeks for me. There is a lot of death and difficulties surrounding me. Death of my grandmother in August is still wringing my family, and there are tough issues being looked at (cemetery plots, wills, living wills, etc.). And then a good friend of mine lost her father, which was a marathon phone conversation that left me drained and incredibly sad. And there are several of my students who have had family members die this week or loved ones hospitalized. It is just a huge amount of despair in the air and I wish I knew why that was. I guess some planet is in retrograde or something like that...

So it has been a draining week, I did not get to dance much, honestly there were times I did not want to dance, I just wanted comfort. And I was not able to follow through on some promises I made to friends, which makes me feel like a horrible person, as I owe one person in particular two pairs of tango pants and I have yet to get them to him.

You could not make this shit up. No one would believe you.

But what can you do.

Well, get some tango therapy I guess. Sorin and I arrived in NYC yesterday for the Tango Festival. And after some deliberation, we decided to go to Robin Thomas' lesson and practica at Empire Dance last night instead of the opening milonga for the NYC Festival. And it was really a good night. It was just what I needed to get out of the depression that was settling down on me this past week. And I was able to dance, really dance near what I think I am capable of. Which was a relief considering what I had been doing lately. Now I just need to reach what I believe I am capable and I will be one happy girl!

Robin's class was on boleos and boleos leading into ganchos. I thought it was a good class, and I finally learned how to follow the gancho that is lead between the legs as well as the one that is lead high over the leader's hip on his side. Sorin and I stuck together in the class and it was fun. Then the practica followed the lesson and we each danced with some wonderful people until it ended at 1am. And as typical luck for me would have it, Robin asked me to dance at the end of the night when I was exhausted and my feet were killing me. But I put my shoes back on and did the best I could, which was shiite again. But he gave me some very solid feedback about stepping forward. I need to "sit down" when I step forward to allow my leg to extend and keep my knees together. Apparently I was sticking my ass out, which is just not a good look no matter what you are doing. And really push off with my supporting leg when I step. I had been falling into the forward step most of the time, especially if it was lead as a quick quick. So that was very helpful. I just would really like to dance with Robin when I am not sucking eggs due to exhaustion....

We fell asleep somewhere around 3am, absolutely spent and my feet filthy.
Does anyone else have this issue? My feet become absolutely filthy if I dance all night in my heels. I think it is because I have a sandal style shoe and I do not really lift my feet off the floor, when stepping back I slide my foot along the floor until I roll onto the ball of my heel and complete the step. So after 4 hours or so, the floor is clean and my feet are disgusting. I look around and none of the other women seem to have dirty toes. Just me. Must be something I am doing weirdly....

Today is the NYC festival. I am just going to the practicas and milongas, so this afternoon I am going to stroll around NYC. Maybe do some fabric shopping..... if I can..... and then head up town to Columbia for the 6pm practica.

Oh! And The New Yorker is hosting a series of seminars this weekend with various artists from around the world to talk about their art. Tomorrow, some amazing women and one gentleman who work in my field - Patricia Field , Colleen Atwood, Patrizia von Brandenstein, William Ivey Long will be giving a talk. I am soooooo going to try to get in! What a room of talent that will be!!!

Oh, and Sex and the City is filming their movie right now, maybe I can stalk them as well today. It's beautiful out! Time to turn towards the sun......

2 comments:

La Tanguera said...

Hey, I'll be there too... hope I get to meet you at one of the milongas or practicas!!

Debbi said...

Great! Please make sure to find myself or Sorin and introduce yourself! :-) I'd love to meet you and chat!