Tuesday, October 02, 2007

My bike kicked my ass

So, yesterday I biked to work. It was the perfect day for it, cool, sun was out, air was crisp.
It was perfect.
And half way into the train station, I thought I was going to die.
I biked from Sorin's house to the Braintree station, which was about 3 miles or so. And when I was halfway up the worst of the hills, which was near the end of the journey, I thought flames were going to engulf my lungs. But I made it to the station, and after waiting until 10 for them to allow me on the train with my bike (should have checked out that rule!!) I made it into work without issue.

But then there was the trip home. 6.2 miles from Boston to Watertown. In the dark. Once I made it to the Charles River path, I was fine, but getting there was like playing dodge ball with really large balls on wheels. Drivers just don't care here. The path along the Charles was lovely, but about 2 miles into the ride, my thighs and lungs were screaming at me. Every slight incline became a challenge I thought I would lose. I was shocked that there was not an aura of combustion around my thighs. I really thought I was not going to make it and someone would find my still burning body next to my bike in the morning commute. But I finally made it to Watertown and the endorphins finally kicked in, thank the universe! I don't really remember getting home, but when I turned into my driveway, I was flooded with such relief and happiness that I thought I might weep.

I stumbled up the stairs on jello legs, chatted with my roommates for awhile and then took a steaming hot shower, after which I promptly fell asleep somewhere around 10. I woke up at 2, lights on, wet towels on the bed, and my book across my chest. Very disoriented. But once I turned the lights off and skooched away from the wet section of the bed, I had no problem falling back asleep.

I tried to bike in this morning, but after 3 blocks, I knew that I really would not make the 6 miles in. So I turned around and took the bus. I think it will be biking every other day until my legs get in shape. But I am hoping that by November I will have rock solid muscles from the waist down!!! Now, I just need to do something about the waist up..... ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please buy some bike lights. There are enough ninja bikers out there and you don't want to become a statistic.

Debbi said...

Sorin has a bike light for me and I bought some at the hardware store yesterday. So no worries, I won't be depending on the flames shooting from my lungs as the only light source for the drivers out there.
Thanks!