Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Infestation....

The infestation of Boston has begun. And it is always marked by idiot drivers during the first weekend of September, when all the college students move back into town, and people who don't understand how to drive a truck.... and sometimes what exactly a truck is..... try to drive on Storrow Drive. The first weekend of September we Bostonians call it Sorrow Drive, because if you decide to chance driving on Storrow, you will be filled with Sorrow.

Why?

Because Storrow Drive is for cars only. It has several footbridges that cross it whose clearance is only 10 feet. Therefor, no trucks allowed. And there are big, bold signs at every entrance that state Cars Only. But some people tend to think that this warning is for others, not them, and they continue on.... and cause all sorts of problems. Like THIS.
Watch the slide show.... it's phenomenal....
Every year I see trucks peeled open like sardine cans because they thought that they could make it. Well, they can't. I was happy to not be in Boston during infestation weekend, but driving home today from work, I saw a truck poised at the entrance of Storrow Drive. Looking confused at the bridge it could not fit under, and abashedly at the cop who just looked weary as he wrote up the citation and called for back up so that they could hold up traffic for hours in order to guide the U-Haul out of the road, in reverse. Because they could not move forward.

I was just happy I left when I did.

Some days, I really hate people in their cars.....

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I had to laugh. I hate them EVERY DAY! I was telling my sister the other day "why can't drivers just cooperate and be collectively efficient in their manner of driving?"

Tina said...

You could really compare that to navigation and large moves in a crowded milonga... LOL

Debbi said...

Ha!! You are right!! This is what happen folks when you lead a high linear boleo in a milonga where space is at a higher premium than in Tokyo...