Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Pleasant 2 hours

I had to go to the DMV this afternoon to renew my license. Fun. While sitting there waiting, an older gentleman sat next to me and struck up a conversation. He is a Canadian, living in both Massachusetts and Quebec. We had a great conversation while we waited, we covered Montreal, Quebec, Ireland and Irish pride (that would be me), Native Americans and the true history you don't read in American History books (that would be him), US government, religion, the situation in the middle east, people on the whole and as individuals, Calgary and Vancouver, Romanian men (heh heh), and life in Canada. We covered a lot in 2 hours, and I was sad when my number was called and had to leave my seat to take care of my license (which I could not as I apparently have a parking ticket from Newton on my record and I had to go there and pay that....grrrrr.... had I but known.....).

All I can say is it never occured to me to strike up a conversation with someone sitting next to me while I waited. But this gentleman had no problem with that, he just sat down and asked me what I was there for (ha, kind of like "what are you in for?") and the conversation bloomed. Yet again, proof positive that Canadians are possibly the nicest people in the world. And that every once in awhile, I am glad that I try very hard not to be a typical American, otherwise I would not have had this great conversation with such an interesting person.

No comments: