Monday, July 16, 2007

tango, camping and bug bites

Well, we just got back from the Yale Tango Camping Weekend and had a good time there. Camping and tango? Yes, who knew, these two go together? Apparently they do. The camp site was a really lovely area owned and operated by Yale. The dining hall overlooked the lake and the view was gorgeous. THe dining hall itself is where the classes and dancing happened. There was a deck outside the hall, but the wood was too grippy and splintery to really dance on well. On the flip side, the hall floor was a skating rink it seemed. Feet slipping everywhere, even in dance sneakers! But we gave it a good cleaning and mopping which seemed to help and then throughout the dancing someone would sporadically spritz the floor (using water guns! hee hee) which would help too.

Robin Thomas and his teaching partner Kayla, from Nevada, came to give classes and guided practicas, and it was worth it simply to go and take his classes. I really like his teaching style and blunt approach. I learned quite a bit in the three days he taught. And was even lucky enough to dance with him for a tanda. I had to laugh, the first two tangos of the tanda were lovely and fun, and then for the third, he stepped up the level about a hundred notches and I did my best to follow him. Which I was able to most of the time, although I can not say I did so well or particularly gracefully. But it was fun nonetheless and a great workout in listening!

The atmosphere was fairly relaxed and casual. Sorin and I were expecting dancing all the time with breaks for camp stuff and lake stuff. But it was more camp and lake activities with breaks for dancing. There were even some people who came to camp who never came to any classes or practi-longas. Which puzzled me, but hey, to each their own. I did get to dance throughout the weekend with some of my favorite NYC leaders who came down, which was lovely.

Unfortunately Saturday night's milonga I missed out on. We had decided to join in the lake activities that afternoon and went swimming for a little while. But that was enough sun to affect me apparently. Because by the time Robin's class ended and the milonga began, I was not feeling well. I was shakey and unbalanced. I downed 2 and 1/2 glasses of OJ, thinking I needed some sugar, and that was the wrong thing to do. I immediately felt worse. Sorin danced a tanda with me and my following had gone all to crap and I felt like I was on the verge of tears. Uh-oh, I know this feeling. Sunstroke. I am too susceptible to sunstroke. So Sorin was a dear and took me back to camp, tucked me into the sleeping bag and kissed me goodnight as he headed back for the milonga. The next morning I felt infinitely better. Which was good as I spent pretty much the entore day dancing until we had dinner and had to pack to leave.

All in all it was fun, and I do enjoy camping. I always seem to sleep really well in a tent in the great outdoors. And Sunday morning we woke up to the gentle sound of light rain on the tarp above the tent, which is one of my favorite sounds. I find it very soothing. Oh, and yes, I am covered in bug bites. The bugs there were particularly tenacious and seemed to view bug repellent as a tasty sort of marinade....

2 comments:

m i l e s said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time dear! I'm happy to read that you danced and you danced well. Hmmm, I've asked other followers what its like to dance with Robin. You noted something that other followers have noted as well, he'll intentially keep it simple for the first song of the tanda. And then take you on a ride for your life. One thing I noted in your commentary that it was not a 'magical' tanda as you might imagine it would be. I wonder if that's because he stepped it up a 100 notches....

Sorry about the bugbites...mosquitos I presume. And yes they do seem to see 'bug repellant' as an hors d'oeuvre to the main course...YOU! Well who wouldn't dear (smile).

Elizabeth said...

If God wanted people to go camping he would not have given us houses and hot running water and clean beds with good sheets...also windows with screens.