Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Guerrilla Tango

Oh yea!

Find a public space, gather some tangueros and tangueras, bring a boom box and some CDs and you have...

Guerrilla Tango!

What a blast! I was just sorry that I could only stay for 45 minutes before running off to the opera. But it was a brilliant idea and a ton of fun. Some of the leaders in Boston organized a public milonga, guerrilla style, dance until you drop or we get kicked out and have to move on to another public space.

At 8:30 we descended on Porter Square and set up shop so to speak. K was the DJ, and he brought some great music to play in his boom box. Someone set up a hat, and we danced around this small square in Porter Square, outside on the concrete and stone. Passersby stopped and stared, some sat down to watch while they ate ice cream cones, others drifted around the perimeter, and a few brave souls asked questions about what we were doing. One older gentleman came up to talk to me while others were dancing, asked about the dancers, wanted to know why we were doing this. When I told him the reason was simple, it was a beautiful night to dance a beautiful dance, he was so tickled pink that he asked me to dance a song with him, even though he had not danced in "decades" as he put it. He was a doll, so how could I say no? We walked the square and he just beamed from ear to ear.

S made quite the entrance, zooming in on his motorcycle, and then joining the dance, he showed up just in time to dance with me before I had to run off. I felt myself lingering after our tanda as I really did not want to leave. The night was cool and warm at the same time, the air was dry, and the people who showed up to dance were great fun. I REALLY hope that this becomes a regular event, maybe showing up in different parts of Boston and Cambridge on clear nights and dancing in the moonlight and dusk.... just lovely!

8 comments:

Cherie said...

Many years ago I was visiting San Francisco from L.A. for the weekend, and there was a "Hit'n Run Tango" event in Union Square. The only difference with "Guerrilla Tango" was that we had a live orchestra. I wish I remembered who organized it, but it sure was fun, and I hope they are still doing Hit'n Runs somewhere.

tangospeak said...

That sounded like a ton of fun! I love the concept.

Anonymous said...

Ha!!! That's a great time you've had!!! You know, Baltimore has had "Guerilla Milongas" for a while as well (maybe Carlos and Tova's influence as they moved from Baltimore to Boston?). Now they have a great Streetlight Milonga in Fells Point the first Fridays of the month during the Spring-Summer (it started as a guerilla but was such a success that it has become more regular). DC also has one on Sundays in the Summer (Freedom Plaza), and of course NY has the more established ones at Central Park and Seaport (wonder if those qualify as "guerilla", though... maybe they are too big by now?).

Anyhow--dancing in the street is always an incredible experience, love to see the people watching in awe/curiosity! :-)

Sheila said...

Hey D! I'm glad you had fun at the "Milonga Guerilla." I certainly did. K's music was great, the dancing was great, the weather was great... I missed S's motorcycle entrance, but that sounds like it was great, too! Hope we get to do more outdoor milongas... I think we should challenge ourselves: How many different surfaces can we dance on in one summer, and what's the weirdest surface we can tango on? (Sidewalk in front of the local 24-hour CVS: check.) =)

La Planchadora said...

I love the idea of down-and-dirty outdoors tango; thrill passersby!

Debbi said...

Absolutely! It seems that this is a popular thing everywhere it pops up! I asked J last night if he was going to make it a regular thing, and he is, yea! As long as you can get past dancing on stone or concrete or some other surface that some hard working engineer designed to be non-slip, then it is a blast. Watching people's faces as they walk by, that is even more of a blast!

Anonymous said...

You know, in the Fells Point Milonga in Baltimore they put some good old linoleoum taped to the floor, which works wonders and it's worth the investment...

miss tango in her eyes said...

That sounded so incredibly fun! You made me wish I was there!