Sunday, May 06, 2007

A good day....

I had my private lesson today with S2, and it was a leaps and bounds sort of day. We first of all worked on embrace and presence vs pressure. Wow, one slight adjustment can make all the difference in the world. Rather amazing. Then we talked about and adjusted head placement and how to comfortably adjust your head tilt in close embrace with someone taller or shorter than you. Another small adjustment that changed my posture and balance. Good stuff. Then we went onto milonga. Whew... what a work out! We worked on stepping firmly, passing through collection, but collecting nonetheless, and how to step with small, decisive steps that allow the dance to move as quickly or as slowly as the music dictates. Then we went on to how to be an active follower in milonga... WOW! It's a whole new world. Using grounding and presence to communicate to my leader where I am, if I need a half beat, and how to share the lead in the dance.... amazing.... blew my mind. by the end of the 90 minutes, we put on a milonga and just danced it. And I actually did dance it! Not only was I firm and planted in my steps, but I felt confident enough to play with musicality and every once in awhile, lend a hand (or foot, heh heh heh) in the shape of the dance. Crazy.... and wonderful. I can not wait to practice this some more and dance this way at the next milonga. S2 told me to chose the leaders carefully whom I attempt to shape the dance with as most leaders do not want to give up control of the dance, even for a beat or two, which is all I would really attempt. But to make sure to be playful with it and have fun when I do. You can bet I will! It was a tango moment sort of day, where a door I did not know was there opened up. Which was lovely, as I have not had that sort of a moment in awhile now.

sigh... happiness is.....

No comments: