Monday, March 19, 2007

Snow tango...

I had tango mojo this weekend. I not only was able to move well, but actually dance, and keep it together not just for one tanda, or a few tandas, but for 2 days - 2 milongas and a practica! I feel like I graduated to a new peak, and it is a little heady up here. Friday night was a spring snow storm from hell. Milongas were canceled, and dance floors were dark and empty. But Saturday, despite the cold and the snow piled everywhere (which is incredibly depressing by the way, after a few days of warmth, where people were starting to come out of their winter protective shells, blamo! snow storm. ugh) there was tango to be had! And it was a St Patrick's day tango. Hmmm.... Irish and tango, ehh... I'm Irish myself, so the mix can't be all that odd... ;-). So the magic green shoes came out and off we went to Springstep to dance. And with the exception of one tanda, I was, as O mentioned after our first tango of the night, "On fire!" It was great, I had a blast, and I actually danced! Not just kept up, not just matched, but danced. I threw in a boleo or two when the time was right. And I was able to answer my leaders musicality in most instances. *sigh* it was better than chocolate really!

The one mar of the evening was dancing with this one leader, C, whom I would love to be able to dance with, but we never seem to be able to connect. I just could not follow his lead properly, and I seemed to be always off. Either off balance, off rhythm, off, off, off. I felt so badly, I really wanted to dance well with him, but it just was not in the stars that night.

But the rest of the evening I danced and just had the best time. I barely sat that night, and that was fine by me. I did not want to stop dancing, I did not want the magic to go away. But the evening did come to an end, and I was left wondering if that was it for another month or so. If that was my moment of glory, to keep me on the tango leash. Even S complimented me on my dancing, and I know he is not a man to give a compliment lightly or falsely, so when he tells me that I did well, it gives me a little rush and makes me smile.

So the next morning, heading to practica, I was curious to see if I was still in the zone, if I had moved up a level, or if last night had been a fluke. Got to practica, started dancing, and it was as though the night had not ended, I was still able to dance and dance well. Many of the leaders I practiced with I had danced with the night before, and they all mentioned that I had found my groove. Yea me! Another leader, R, whom I had not danced with for about a month at another practica asked me to dance, and after the first tango he mentioned, "You've been dancing a lot! You've gotten much better!" Double Yea me! And again, I did not want to stop dancing. I wanted to keep going. I was disappointed to not get to dance with two of my favorite leaders at practica, they always give me good feedback and I enjoy dancing with them immensely. I wish that there had been another half hour or so to keep going and dance with them. But alas, the clock was quite the dictator and we had to leave. But, we were leaving to go to a milonga. Ha! Loco....

It turns out that is was an alternative milonga, which S was not really sure about when we got there. The host is a great guy and a really interesting tango dancer. He has his own unique style, and no one confuses who it is that is dancing when you see F on the floor. So he had this kind of quiet little milonga at a coffee shop in Providence. Really cool little space, BsAs in style if it was more filled with dancers, and some interesting art on the wall. Now, unfortunately, alternative tango music is a difficult thing. I have danced to some alternative (i.e. pop) tango music and it worked well. But the music that was played in the beginning of the milonga was not exactly danceable. Some of it was ok, but most of it was less so. F has a very easy going style, so he let people play what they wanted. Unfortunately, few people wanted to dance to what was playing. S and I danced for awhile, tried to keep it going when a song came on that was workable, but we both tired of the music fairly quickly. Finally some danceable music was played and some traditional tango music, and more people got up to dance. And I sat. There were very few people in attendance, it was very intimate, but unfortunately the only person who would dance with me was S. P was there, but he was leading another leader who was learning to follow. I asked another leader whom I danced with once in a class, and I was turned down as he wanted to rest. Oh well. I had a great couple of days of dancing, the music there was not turning me on, so I was basically ok with not dancing. There will always be a little ego in me screaming about the fact that I am not getting dances, good dances, but it is getting easier to ignore that little sprite as long as I am happy with what I have had.

3 comments:

miss tango in her eyes said...

There is nothing like the Tango high!

Caroline said...

What Miss Tango said!

Debbi said...

I know! Best drug I ever tried! ;-) And having your feet a little sore the next day makes it even better... because you KNOW that you really worked it!