Thursday, March 08, 2007

Fashion Smashion

In quite a few of the blogs that I read about tango (sigh, yes, I am becoming the complete tango geek), there have been a rash of postings about what not to wear to a milonga, and a running commentary on La Planchadora's blog about "Attacked by Wild Animals" outfits. Well this past time when I was in NYC I saw someone who was attacked by a rabid squirrel and their pants were the real victim. The outfit was amazing in the not so good way, in that I am not sure what exactly she was thinking. The pants were black with huge slashes all over them, and the hem ended in ragged edges that sort of limply hung about her ankles. But when I say slashes everywhere, I mean slashes over her posterior, hips, thighs, legs, and some on either side of the zipper in the front. Now this was bad enough, but add to it that through the slashes one could see her underwear and her control-top pantyhose, and you have one hell of a look going on. A favorite phrase by a designer professor of mine was "Well, it's a look."
Things like this make me wonder what people think when they walk out the door. Why on earth would you want to go out like that? And if you do want to, why not go all the way? Why "ruin" it with panties and control top pantyhose peeking through the slashes of your bum and hips? It makes no sense to me. But then again, considering the line of work I am in, I am often looking at others with an eye for what they are wearing and how they are wearing it. I have been known to walk up to people on the street and exclaim over their shoes/dress/jacket/whatever and ask them about it. Before I even started dancing tango, I would watch the women's shoes on the dance floor. I would take "Shoe Shots" with S's camera, I think it amused him - or at least I want to think that it did ;-), and I would look at the outfits with an eye for ease of movement and grace of line. I am working on designing a pair of pants specifically for dancing tango with a friend of mine who is a brilliant draper (a person who takes a drawing and makes a garment from the sketch). I knew exactly what I wanted, but could not exactly figure out the rise of the pants or all of the construction issues with layer two pants on each other, I did not want bulk anywhere. So P is helping me with that and within the next 2 weeks, I am going to have a gorgeous pair of steel grey silk charmeuse pants with black chiffon pallazzo overlay. I can not wait!! And one thing I can say with absolute certainty is that I do not ever plan to look like a rabid animal attacked my outfit. And I can also say with certainty that if for some bizarre, unknown reason I ever did, S would never let me out of the house looking like that. ;-)

No comments: