Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A week of Opera....

I am so very proud of my students. After a long weekend of teching the opera that they have all been working on so very hard, the pay off for them is coming. It looks gorgeous. The costumes are beautiful, and all the kinks and fit problems have been worked out and smoothed out so that the design is now flawless and lovely. The singers are happy with how they look, which is always half the battle. Singers are a completely different breed than actors. Actors can take any garment and make it their own, use it to their advantage and enhance the character that they have created. Singers, if they do not like the garment or are unsure about it, it immediately shows in their posture, mannerisms, and expressions. It ruins the look. It could be the most perfect garment for the character, time period and opera, but if the singer does not like it, good luck making it work. But thank the universe, everyone is finally happy and looking good. And now, after long days of not sleeping, I am entering tech for a second opera that I am working on. No sleep for the wicked! This one should be a bumpier road as we have professional opera singers who have been incredibly picky about how they look. Tonight is the first Dress Tech Rehearsal, and I have no doubt that it will be a late night of notes. Opera is a bit of a catch-22. The production value is always high, and it is always gorgeous visually, but getting there is akin to having dental surgery, enemas, and a bikini wax all at the same time without anesthesia.... only more so. I am just looking forward to Thursday when both shows are open and I can go to practica (you did not think I would not sneak tango into my post, now did you?!?! Silly reader!) and dance and relax. I bet that after all the tension from work, there will be a complete lack of tension in my embrace! Maybe that is the key.... exhaust myself to have that perfectly relaxed yet firm embrace.... we'll see....
But anyway, tomorrow is the last dress tech for my students, and I think I am going to bring in treats for them. Make some cookies tonight when I get home at midnight.... or stop at the French bakery around the corner from my house in the morning and buy some yummies.... We'll see which happens....

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Hey, I did a threee month internship as an assistant to the head costume designer at Monument Theatre here in Montreal - it was affiliated with the National Theatre school where my ex studied Set Design. I can well imagine what you were talking about - it's hard work! That you're working probably well beyond 40 hours a week and yet stil have time and energy for tango is rather impressive.

Debbi said...

Tech week is brutal. Today my day started at 8am and ended just after 11pm... and the next few days will be similar until opening Friday. But it is so worth it, I love it and despite the long hours and frustrations, I would not change my life at all. Time for tango... not really, but desire to dance takes over desire to watch tv or sit around, so off I'll go. :-)