Thursday, February 01, 2007

I love old people

Stopped at Dunkin Donuts this morning for a muffin and some more coffee, and I held the door open for an elderly gentleman who arrived at the same time I did. He was very sweet and rather funny, he mentioned that back in his day he always was the one to open the door for young ladies, not the other way around. I laughed, and said that women's lib ruined so many lovely customs, didn't it? We chatted a bit in line, then he asked if I was off to work. I said yes, and he said "You are so pretty that you must be a secretary, your boss is so lucky to have such a pretty young lady working for him."
Uhhmmmm......
How does one answer that? I am fairly certain that was meant as a compliment...

"Actually, I work in theatre and I run a costume shop at a University in town. But thank you."

He was not sure how to react to that, so he thought for awhile, and then said "Well, good for you. Your husband is lucky to have such a pretty wife then."

I decided that I was not going to burst all of his old fashioned bubbles today.......

No comments: