Tuesday, January 02, 2007

On a Lark....


"Are you feeling adventurous?"
It is amazing that those words would give me pause, and yet sometimes they do. I was thinking on that today, that here we are, another year clicked up on the counter of years, and here I sit, with a whole new year spread out before me, the blank canvas of this year's story, and I can not wait to see what it brings. Adventure, I certainly hope so, although every once in awhile, the thought of adventure makes me pause, which it never did before. I never used to wonder what type of an adventure it would be.... adventure was adventure! That was all that mattered. And for the most part it still does. Heck, I went away to Montreal for a long weekend with a (at the time) brand new interest, and that adventure turned out really well. I walked away from a well paying office job that I absolutely hated and turned my life into what I wanted to do, and that turned out well too. Adventure and risk seem to treat me well, I inherited the spirit of my grandfather, who if my grandmother mentioned that the New England winters were starting to get to her and she longed for a glimpse of sun, he would come back within a few days with tickets to someplace warm. Not necessarily someplace traditional, like the Bahamas, but perhaps someplace unusual and interesting, like Peru. And off they would go on their adventure. That is what I want in life. To be able to look over and say "I've been thinking, what do you say to Greece this time of year?" or "I've never been to San Diego, want to go?"
But I have to say, even though I might pause for a moment, I then jump head long into the possibility and see what will come. So perhaps I am not quite as old as I was afraid I was becoming. As long as the Irish gypsy in me still dips her toe into the unknown with a grin on her face, I think I'll do alright. Maybe not just look for the road less traveled, but instead the road no one else noticed, or created yet....

No comments: