Monday, December 04, 2006

temper temper temper....


I almost never have temper tantrums. My mom has said that my sister and my personalities were defined from our births. I came out calm, quiet and asleep. My sister was screaming before she cleared the birth canal. It take a lot to ruffle my feathers, and my fuse is really long. But today, I reached the end of it. And over something really stupid, but also really essential. Lunch.
Sounds weird, doesn't it. But hear me out. My day stared at 4:15am, which, as you know, is not exactly an hour that I want to even think about prying my eyelids open, never mind getting up out of bed. But there you have film life. So, up at 4:15. The hotel, of course, does not serve breakfast at this hour, and naturally there are no 24 hour Dunkin Donuts in the area, so we have to wait for the caterers to arrive on set at 5:30. At which point the hoards of actors descend, whom we dress and get ready for set, so my first cup of coffee and morsel of food happens around 8 or 8:30, makes me somewhat growly, but I try to cover that as well as I can. Then, off to set, and today was brutually cold, and we are shooting summer scenes, naturally. Curious thing about film, they shoot summer scenes in 30 degree weather with a wind chill of nasty proportions, and shoot winter scenes in August. Back ass-wards is you ask me. But anyway, so there these poor guys are, wearing next to nothing, and freezing their toukuses off. So I am not only attending to costumes, but on blanket duty too, wrapping people in blankets in between takes, checking their costumes when I remove the blankets, all sorts of fun. We break for lunch at 1:00. Mind you, this is now almost 7 hours since I got up and so far I've had some coffee, a banana, and a granola bar. So we head back to the building for some heat and food, and when I get there what do I see? Absolutely nothing that I can eat. Shepard's pie, both meat and non-meat, but covered in creamy potatoes that would kill my day if I ate them and their buttery goodness. Now mind you, I had an in depth discussion with the production manager about my food restrictions and allergies so that catering could have food for me to eat. And not one day this entire shoot has their been a meal where I could actually eat well. There was always something I could eat, but rarely was it substantial enough to last me. Usually a roll and some iceberg lettuce salad, or some fruit, which lasts me about.... oh... an hour before I am hungry again. Well, today there was literaly nothing I could eat. Not one damn thing. And I pitched a fit. It was spectacular. All I knew was that I was tired, cold, and hungry and yet again, they forgot to accomodate my food restrictions and I was left without. And I was done being nice about it. The last thing I need to think about while working on set was what or how to eat. That should be taken care for me so that I can do my job. And my working a 14 hour day on an empty stomach was not the best of situations for anybody. So I had possibly the best temper tantrum I have had since I was 5. And although it might have been justified, I had an out of body moment, watching myself and thinking "Damn, you need to calm down!" But I could not. So I ended up storming out, driving to some horrible Chinese place, ordering some "interesting" asian food, driving back, and eating while people needed to get back to the set. And of course, I don't want to cause problems for the actors, I like them, so I inhale the bad chinese food, get everyone ready, send them on their way, and sit down feeling like I wanted to vomit and cry at the same time. I did neither, thank whatever powers that be, but I really wanted to. It is amazing that such a small thing can have such huge consequences!
Anyway, they paid for my lunch and promised me a food happy day tomorrow. We'll see. Attached is a picture from set. I rather liked it!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I used to work on film sets too - I remember those long long hours, the whole hurry up and wait, the red light. The only thing I miss about working for film are the Sales after the movie wrapped uphearnoevil! When you could buy whatever was purchased for the sets at dirt cheap prices.